How do I serve process on a foreign (out-of-state) company?

Paterson, NJ |

I need to serve process on a foreign (non-New Jersey) corporation because I am suing it in the Superior Court of NJ. As far as I know, it is not registered in NJ, but it has contacts with the state because it ships products here and has thousands of NJ-based affiliates that help it market its products. Can I serve process on the company’s agent in Washington State (where the company is registered) or do I need to serve process on a NJ-based registered agent? If the latter, how can I find out if the corporation has a registered agent in NJ? What if it doesn’t have one?

1. I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. However, you may have long arm jurisdiction. Therefore, you could use a process server to serve the defendant out of state via their registered agent.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 www.peterlamontesq.com Additional Offices in New York, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

2. I agree with my colleague with respect to the long arm statute or potentially serving the registered agent. However, you should retain counsel for these issues as it is more likely that a licensed attorney in your state can give you an accurate answer.

Business topics