How do I serve process on a foreign (out-of-state) company?

Asked over 1 year ago - Paterson, NJ

I need to serve process on a foreign (non-New Jersey) corporation because I am suing it in the Superior Court of NJ. As far as I know, it is not registered in NJ, but it has contacts with the state because it ships products here and has thousands of NJ-based affiliates that help it market its products. Can I serve process on the company’s agent in Washington State (where the company is registered) or do I need to serve process on a NJ-based registered agent? If the latter, how can I find out if the corporation has a registered agent in NJ? What if it doesn’t have one?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Peter Joseph Lamont


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. However, you may have long arm jurisdiction. Therefore, you could use a process server to serve the defendant out of state via their registered agent.

    If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter... more
  2. Ricardo O'Neil Bernard

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . I agree with my colleague with respect to the long arm statute or potentially serving the registered agent. However, you should retain counsel for these issues as it is more likely that a licensed attorney in your state can give you an accurate answer.

Related Topics


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,512 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,512 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering