How do I seek damages resulting from a Fire in the Apartment next door

There was a fire in the apartment next door that caused damage to my apartment. The insurance company of the apartment next door is refusing to admit liability as they say there is no proof of negligence. I obtained the Official Fire Report and it confirms that the fire originated from a heater in the apartment, "but it does not confirm the cause of the heater catching fire." I have been told that I need to prove there was negligence from the unit owner or prove there was a defect in the heater that caused the fire. Otherwise, if the cause of the fire cannot be determined, I will be unable to pursue recovery. It has been nearly a year since the fire and I don't know how I can prove negligence. Is there anything I can do? I feel like I am being treated unfairly.

New York, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

If you have your own insurance that is the way to go. You have been told the correct thing. You need to show the people in the other apartment were negligent or you can't make a case against them.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Try your own insurance company. You can also sue the other tenant and the owner of the building. You have the burden of proving liability. You will need to prove what caused the accident by having an expert testify, the fire Marshall would be helpful.

David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Fort Myers, FL

Unless you can prove negligence, you will have to use your own insurance coverage.

Related Advice