How do I seal my criminal background on my own in Texas? Where do I get the proper paperwork to fill out to send to the judge?

Houston, TX |

Do I send it to my judge that I had in criminal court or another judge?

Petitions for expunction or non-disclosure can be fairly complicated. Someone without legal training or experience will have a difficult time getting that done. Besides, I'm not sure that there are forms out there for the general public to use. You need to retain an attorney with experience in that area

Todd Steele's response to your question is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this response should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

You file it in the same court. I would make sure you're eligible before you spend the money. Of course it's best to have an attorney do it to make sure it's done properly.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

It depends on the nature of the criminal background. If your were on deferred adjudication, you may be eligible to file a petition for non-disclosure. If the case was dismissed, you may be eligible for an expunction. If the case resulted in probation or a straight conviction and was above a Class C misdemeanor, you may not be able to seal or expunge it. I would contact an attorney in your for a consultation on your eligibility.