How do I seal my criminal background on my own in Texas? Where do I get the proper paperwork to fill out to send to the judge?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Do I send it to my judge that I had in criminal court or another judge?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel Allen Krieger

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on the nature of the criminal background. If your were on deferred adjudication, you may be eligible to file a petition for non-disclosure. If the case was dismissed, you may be eligible for an expunction. If the case resulted in probation or a straight conviction and was above a Class C misdemeanor, you may not be able to seal or expunge it. I would contact an attorney in your for a consultation on your eligibility.

  2. Todd Bennett Steele

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Petitions for expunction or non-disclosure can be fairly complicated. Someone without legal training or experience will have a difficult time getting that done. Besides, I'm not sure that there are forms out there for the general public to use. You need to retain an attorney with experience in that area

    Todd Steele's response to your question is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this response should... more
  3. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You file it in the same court. I would make sure you're eligible before you spend the money. Of course it's best to have an attorney do it to make sure it's done properly.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more

Related Topics

Criminal conviction

A criminal conviction may lead to jail time, fines, and/or probation. Felony convictions can also restrict voting rights and access to public assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,434 answers this week

2,551 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,434 answers this week

2,551 attorneys answering