How do I respond when a third party collection agency uses an affidavit of sale to prove a debt?

Back in August of 2012, I got a collection notice on an account I have no knowledge of. I sent them a dispute letter. Recently, I recieved a letter back informing me I was a cosigner to my exhusband on a loan when we were married. I have no knowledge of this loan. This is the first I have heard of it. I asked them to provide proof, and they only sent back an affidavit of sale. I don't know what to do! I know I didn't sign for this loan.

Anaheim, CA -

Daniel Dwight Bowen

Daniel Dwight Bowen

Debt Collection Attorney - Atlanta, GA

Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you have the right to dispute the debt and tell the collection agency you do not want to be contacted. You should tell the collection agency you believe you x signed the card application. Also check your credit report. If you are sued by the collection agency be prepared to promptly hire an attorney and defend youself. Good Luck

Renee Mayerson Cannella

Renee Mayerson Cannella

Debt Collection Attorney - Stamford, CT

You can file an affidavit of fraud if you maintain that you never cosigned this loan. If your ex made it a habit of such behavior I suggest you check your credit report carefully for any other strange activity. Often where there's smoke there's fire. You may want to confer with a local attorney.

Tregg Robert Lunn

Tregg Robert Lunn

Debt Collection Attorney - Lincoln, NE

Since you wrote a dispute letter, I would check your credit report and see if the debt is noted as disputed. If not, you may ghave a claim against the collector under the FDCPA. I don't see how an affidavit of ownership proves that you co-signed the note. You should seek the counsel of a qualified consumer attorney in your area.