HOW DO I RESPOND TO A FL180 JUDGMENT FORM?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Laguna Beach, CA

Can i respond to a fl180 judgement if i do not agree with it?

1. Scott Charles Maccabe

1

Best Answer

Answered . You could possibly be under 3 different scenarios. Either the matter was contested and the court issued its ruling, in which case the FL-180 (Judgment) needs to comport with the court's ruling (if it does not, do not sign it and file objections). Secondly, you could be defaulted in which case you need to move to set aside your default and participate in the case. Thirdly, the Fl-180 could be an attempt to formalize an agreement (or believed agreement) in which case do not sign it and negotiate terms agreeable to you. Please consult with a lawyer or go to the self-help center at the courthouse.

2. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

3

Answered . The FL-180 (along with the other judgment forms) necessarily means that you and the other party are in agreement with the terms of your divorce. If you are not in agreement, simply don't sign the stipulated judgment.

If the judgment terms do not accurately reflect your agreement, then send a proposed judgment that does. An experienced family law attorney can help you draft a judgment that confirms the agreed-upon terms, and it should not be expensive to do so.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney who can explain the importance of drafting language in the judgment that you actually agree to since this will be the operative document which finalizes your divorce. You need to understand the legal significance of the judgment and so I strongly suggest that you seek the assistance of counsel to explain it all to you, and help you draft a judgment with terms that you agree to, and will abide by.

The court will not enter the final judgment unless both parties have signed the agreement, indicting their agreement with its terms (unless, of course, the judgment was prepared pursuant to the court's findings at trial).

I am including links below with may prove helpful. Good luck to you.

3. Donald Frederick Conviser

2

Answered . If the Judgment was after trial and the Court's pronounced judgment, you need to file a timely objection to the Judgment if it was inconsistent with the Court's pronounced judgment, because if you fail to do so, the other party can ask that the Court sign and enter the Judgment without your signature. You should promptly retain (or at least consult) an experienced Family Law Attorney in that event. If the Judgment was a proposed Stipulated Judgment, you don't need to sign it. If that is the case, try to negotiate an accepted Stipulated Judgment with the other party. If your efforts are unsuccessful, you should retain (or at least consult) an experienced Family Law Attorney to handle the case.