How do I resign from my current job without loosing unemployment benefits. How can I go around this situation?

West Babylon, NY |

I was taking unemployment benefits since Nov 2, 2012. I accepted a job offer and started my new job on March 4th. It turns out that the job is beyond my qualifications and experience. I use to work in a customer service, but not in a call center. Now I find myself stressed out and unhappy with my job because it not exactly within the are of my experience. I tried to give it a try and stayed with the company for over a week now, but I see it is not going as it should be. If I resign from this job will I be receiving unemployment benefits from my former employer. I'm very concerned that now if I resign I will have nothing as I might loose my unemployment benefits. What should/can I do in this matter?

You can go back to collecting based on your former job, if your current job lets you go, but not if you give up and quit.

I agree with Forman. Generally resignation under the circumstances you describe would disqualify you from receiving unemployment benefits. Consult with an attorney further to see if the work conditions are sufficient to qualify for a "constructive termination."

Keeping working until they fire you or else you will be unlikely to receive benefits.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.