How do I resign as power of attorney?

Richmond, VA |

I am joint power of attorney and want to resign. The principle suffers from Dementia and it has become too much for me to handle.

1. Send a written resignation to the maker and to all banks and investment companies or anyone else who know you are serviving as such.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. You will want to prepare (or have prepared for you) a Notice of Resignation of Appointee to sign and have notarized. I would suggest that you make a minimum of 6 copies of the notice. Send copies to:

1. the grantor (the person you refer to as the principal),

2. the co-appointee,

3. the attorney/law firm that prepared the original POA (if there is one and you know who they are),

4. if the POA was filed with a court or state registry, then file a copy there as well, and

5. any banks, nursing home, etc. that have been provided the POA -- as suggested in the other attorney's response.

You may want to find a local elder law/trust & estate lawyer to assist you with this. It should not take much time at all and so should be a nominal expense.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only.