How do I request to change the venue?

Asked 10 months ago - Orlando, FL

Ex filed in FL I moved to Cali 4 months ago. I have a 3 month baby and 2 year old. I fled the state 35 weeks prego due to him leaving me to live on the streets and threats of violence and no income. He contacted the police and tried getting me in trouble for kidnapping and concealing my address, state attorney said he needed to go to court they would not pursue charges against. I refused to give him my address for safety, he has published my name in the paper this week. I asked the courts to reserve me with my updated address and got nothing. I don't want a default divorce. How long before he can get one? I really would like the case transferred here, can I file a counter claim and ask for a change venue or do I file a change of venue first?

1. Carin Manders Constantine

10

Answered . You have a lot of questions and this is too complicated to address online. You need to contact a Florida attorney. You cannot get the case 'transferred' to California. Good luck to you.

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

8

Answered . Yes. You need to hire an attorney. I know that it's probably confusing sometimes as to specifically what types of questions are permissible here, the one thing that I can tell you that we are not, is a help desk. We are not here to plug the gaps between your understanding of the law and that which is required by the law. We are here to help people with general questions and to put them in touch with the right professionals to meet their needs. Don't take this personally: Lots of others make the same mistake. Good luck---but hire an attorney.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

3. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

7

Answered . You can't transfer the case to California.

4. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

7

Answered . You really need an attorney. I recommend you consult with a local and experienced family law attorney.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
    Orlando Family Law Attorney
    407-354-5223

5. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

8

Answered . Meet with a lawyer in private about this.

6. Richard Scott Chizever

Pro

5

Answered . You need to hire an attorney immediately. Regarding venue transfer, please feel free to check out my website where I have a link to the UCCJEA...and you will see that you cannot transfer to California. Again, you have many issues and need an attorney, especially with the allegations of domestic violence. Please feel free to contact myself or a colleague. You need our help.