How do I request to change the venue?

Orlando, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

Ex filed in FL I moved to Cali 4 months ago. I have a 3 month baby and 2 year old. I fled the state 35 weeks prego due to him leaving me to live on the streets and threats of violence and no income. He contacted the police and tried getting me in trouble for kidnapping and concealing my address, state attorney said he needed to go to court they would not pursue charges against. I refused to give him my address for safety, he has published my name in the paper this week. I asked the courts to reserve me with my updated address and got nothing. I don't want a default divorce. How long before he can get one? I really would like the case transferred here, can I file a counter claim and ask for a change venue or do I file a change of venue first?

You have a lot of questions and this is too complicated to address online. You need to contact a Florida attorney. You cannot get the case 'transferred' to California. Good luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272 familylawyer411.com/about-carin https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Law-Offices-of-Carin-M-Constantine/125967577416313 http://www.linkedin.com/pub/carin-constantine/b/861/445

Meet with a lawyer in private about this.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

You can't transfer the case to California.

Yes. You need to hire an attorney. I know that it's probably confusing sometimes as to specifically what types of questions are permissible here, the one thing that I can tell you that we are not, is a help desk. We are not here to plug the gaps between your understanding of the law and that which is required by the law. We are here to help people with general questions and to put them in touch with the right professionals to meet their needs. Don't take this personally: Lots of others make the same mistake. Good luck---but hire an attorney.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

You really need an attorney. I recommend you consult with a local and experienced family law attorney.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
Orlando Family Law Attorney
407-354-5223

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

You need to hire an attorney immediately. Regarding venue transfer, please feel free to check out my website where I have a link to the UCCJEA...and you will see that you cannot transfer to California. Again, you have many issues and need an attorney, especially with the allegations of domestic violence. Please feel free to contact myself or a colleague. You need our help.

You can reach the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. at (305) 974-1580 or RChiz@ChizeverLaw.com. Richard S. Chizever, Esq. is a family law attorney licensed in the state of Florida. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Richard S. Chizever or the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.