Skip to main content

How do I request time to make changes to agreement prior to divorce?

Charlottesville, VA |
Filed under: Divorce

My husband and I signed a separation agreement last year. The plan was for him to have physical custody of my son. They are really not getting along at all now.
Husband filed divorce as planned, so I got a summons. Have to respond within 21 days. How can I request the court give more time to try to negotiate a change in custody? Husband not yet cooperating on desire for change.

Attorney Answers 1


If Husband not cooperating, you should file an answer to his complaint and then a crossbill asking for the relied you are requesting which is either a change in custody or a change in visitation due to the change in the relationship of the child with the father and that it would be in the child's best interest to modify custody or visitation. For more information, go to

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics