Skip to main content

How do I request more time to file a written response to a supplemental petition for mod. of final judgement and parenting plan?

Tampa, FL |

My ex husband filed a supplemental petition for modification of final judgment and parenting plan - time sharing, parental responsibilities, and child support. My 20 days are basically up and I do not have my response anywhere close to ready. How do I request more time from the courts to prepare it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You can file a Motion for Additional Time to File an Answer. A judge may or may not grant this Motion without a hearing. Be sure you send a copy of anything you file to your ex husband. Also anything you send to the Judge must also be sent to your ex husband. If you need assistance with your case you can contact my office to schedule a free initial consultation by calling 813-374-0353.


You can file a motion with the court. I suggest you take the other attorney up on his offer of a free consultation.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You said your time is "basically up." Is it up or not? If your time is not up, you can file a Motion for Extension of Time to File Answer. If you time is up, you are not entitled to an extension of time, and you should file an answer immediately. You can file a basic denial now and file a motion to amend your answer a few days later when you have prepared your complete answer.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!


If a default has not been entered you do not have to file a motion. Go the the courthouse right now and file anything in your case and a default will not be entered by the Clerk. You may just want to file an answer simply denying the allegations. You do not need to file a detailed response to prevent a default. DO IT NOW.


file a motion for extension of time asap. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.


I agree with my colleagues about filing a motion for additional time, but you really need to retain an attorney immediately. My firm offers free case consultations in these matters. My phone number is 813 830 2261, I look forward to working with you.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer