How do I request an administrative hearing in Georgia?

Asked about 1 year ago - Alpharetta, GA

I was pulled over for a DUI and refused to submit to the breathalyzer. I was told by a friend of mine that I would have to request an administrative hearing within the next 10 days in order to keep my driving rights. I haven't been able to find any information on how to do this.

Attorney answers (7)

  1. Douglas Brooks Rohan

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can find the instructions on the Department of Driver Services website under rule 375-3-3-.04 Amended.

    If you have any further questions about this or any other topic, please feel free to call me at 404-923-0446. All... more
  2. Charles Christopher Flinn


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Check the department of drivers services website. They have the form to request a hearing. But, a DUI is a serious charge. I would absolutely speak to and hire an attorney. I would not recommend representing yourself. I you have any questions, feel free to call me at 4042176978.

  3. Noah Howard Pines

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would suggest you hire a lawyer to insure that the ALS request is properly filed otherwise you risk losing your driving privileges for one year.

  4. Justin Spizman


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Assuming the officer provided you with a notice of suspension in the form of a DDS Form 1205, you absolutely need to file a letter with the DDS to request a hearing on this matter. If not, you could face serious ramifications on your license. We would be happy to provide you with a 10-day letter and discuss your case in detail. If you plan to hire an attorney, most will send this letter on your behalf as part of their representation. If you want this case to end in something other than a DUI conviction, it would be in your best interest to consider retaining counsel to work with you to handle this case.

  5. Michael M. Hawkins

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Call my office tomorrow and we will send you a letter you can use to send on your own. Otherwise you are welcome to schedule an appointment to meet with an attorney and we can draft the letter for you at no cost. I am board certified in DUI defense and practice regularly in Alpharetta if that is where your case is. Mike Hawkins, Hawkins Law Firm. 770-685-6400.

  6. William Travis Towe

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can go to my website and download the "10 day letter" that you need. Also, you can find below the same sample “10-day” letter that contains all of the elements that will preserve one’s rights to receive an administrative license suspension hearing. If you wish to send in a 10-day letter on your own, you can base it on the template below. Include all wording and add all requested data (in italics). Also, send in the $150 check or money order made out to Georgia Department of Driver Services by certified mail and return receipt along with the letter.

    Your name
    Your address

    State of Georgia
    Department of Motor Vehicle Safety
    Hearing Unit, P.O. Box 80447
    Conyers, GA 30013

    Your name
    Arresting Agency:
    Arresting Officer: Arresting Officer’s Badge No.:
    Date of arrest:
    Your Drivers License No.:
    Your Date of Birth:
    Citation number:

    Dear Sirs,

    I was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and / or drugs (DUI). I wish to appeal my administrative license suspension for allegedly testing above the statutory limit of blood alcohol content for someone of my age and drivers license class, or if so noted, for allegedly refusing the State administered tests of my bodily substances. This appeal is being filed under the code sections O.C.G.A. 40-5-67.1, 40-5-55 and 40-6-392. Please notify me of the date and time of the administrative hearing. Further, please send all correspondence, notices, or other communications regarding this case to my address listed above.

    The arresting officer, his / her supervisor and I, are all witnesses I expect to testify at the hearing. I would also intend to subpoena the video tape of the incident to the hearing. I intend to raise all eligible issues at said hearing. I waive no rights or privileges. I wish to raise State and Federal constitutional challenges to the procedures used in this case. I request that my administrative suspension be stayed until all of these issues are resolved and the appropriate hearings held.

    Attached is my check / money order of $150 made out to State of Georgia Department of Drivers Services to cover the statutory fee of the hearing.

    Your Name

  7. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to retain an attorney.

    Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,481 answers this week

2,737 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary