How do I request a final divorce hearing for entry of judgment?

Asked 3 months ago - Sterling Heights, MI

We are getting a divorce without a lawyer, and we have already filed what I believe is all the paperwork required. I filed the summons and complaint, complaint for divorce, record of divorce, he was served and filed his answer, the marriage settlement agreement has been filed, and it is past the 60 day waiting period. We are just stuck at how to get the court date to finalize the divorce. I know we file a request for hearing on a motion, however on the form it looks like I would need the court date to be able to file the motion. Do I just contact the clerk office to get the court date? Any help would be appreciated. I know we should use a lawyer, but we don't have kids, no assets, an any posessions we have been able to agree on on our own.

1. Henry S. Gornbein

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . Hi, Contact the clerk for the judge who is on your divorce and ask for a date to finalize the divorce. You can also file a motion for entry of the divorce judgment which is heard on Monday mornings in Macomb County. Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein

2. John F. Brennan

3

Answered . Contact the Judge's clerk for a date for taking the proofs and entry of the divorce settlement. You should have the settlement at least reviewed by an attorney prior to submission. Good luck.

3. Peter L. Conway

3

Answered . I agree that each of you should have a lawyer review your proposed judgment. A judgment is a contract that divides everything up. If you learn down the road that something was not fair, it will be too late to change anything. Paying a lawyer for an hour or two of the lawyer's time to review the situation and the judgement of divorce is cheap insurance.