How do I request a copy of my files from DCF to file an appeal? Is there a time limit for them to produce the documents?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

I requested the records and they are telling me it could take months.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Heather Morcroft

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I'm confused? Are you appealing a court order? If that is the case, you don't get to add any new records from DCF, you only get to use records that are in the court file, including exhibits introduced at trial. You prepare your record by filing a designation and instructions, and if needed a motion to transcribe along with a proposed order for any relevant hearings to be transcribed. Appeals are complex, you should not be doing one on your own. Only 15% of appeals are successful, and that is with an attorney. Pro se appeals are far less likely to be successful, and most of the ones that are are criminal appeals, because of the multiplicity of constitutional issues related to the deprivation of liberty. You should have had an attorney in your trial, if you couldn't afford one, and similarly an attorney can be appointed to handle your appeal. Also be aware that there are short time frames for filing a notice of appeal and related documents. Your trial attorney should have advised you regarding these procedures.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Joseph Julius Registrato


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You have 30 days from the date of a final order to file a notice of appeal, which is the first and very important step in taking an appeal from a lower court decision. I will assume you are seeking to appeal a decision of a Chapter 39 court because you mentioned DCF, which means the court found a child dependent on the state for services, or perhaps terminated your parental rights. Appeals are very difficult and in my opinion should not be attempted by non-lawyers. You should consult an attorney if you're interested in appealing a lower court ruling.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,792 answers this week

3,128 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,792 answers this week

3,128 attorneys answering