Skip to main content

How do I request a copy of my employment file from employer, what is my employer required to give me

Baltimore, MD |

how do I request a copy of my personnel fie in Baltimore, MD? What is my previous employer require to give me?

Let me explain further. I resigned last year as a city employee and am looking into federal goverment jobs for the beginning of next year and ongoing. For some reason I would like to know what's in my record. I have been getting the interviews but no offer, now either I am a bad interviewer [I have made that the first reason] or its my references. So here I am looking into what I need to do prepare for these government jobs or other employer. I look up under the Public Right to Know act in Maryland and call the previous employers to find out the fees. It's stated that some businesses will require a fee. I needed to know this so I can include it in my letter to them. I am told that I can only get it with a supoena or court order and would not state why.Is this true? what can I do get a copy of my personnel records.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In California, Labor Code Section 1198.5 gives workes the right to inspect their personal files upon reasonable notice and during normal business hours

Check your states labor code for a similar statute and follow the proceedure set forth.

Some employers will allow you to copy the entire file and some only the documents bearing your signature.

Depending on the matter you need this information for ... I would make a list of every document in the file so that if you ever go to court against your former employer and your emplolyment record becomes an issue, the list you made of the documents contained in the file could be your proof that your file was sanitized before your attorney received it.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer