How do I report the losses to LLC's members?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

I own an LLC with 2 others. Our LLC's only asset are shares of stock in a small corporation that was dissolved (worthless) in 2011. This corporation was converted from a separate LLC four years ago, and 2008 was the last time my LLC filed a tax return (or issued a K-1). For the tax returns we filed for 2008 and prior years, our 1065 returns reported a small amount of business deductions and ordinary losses that passed through from the K-1 we received from the separate LLC. The losses were divided amongst the members on the K-1's our LLC issued. What returns do our LLC need to file, so our members can report the loss on dissolved shares do stock? Can our members deduct the full amount of their losses on their own 2011 returns?

1. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

6

Best Answer

Answered . Ignoring any holding company problems on a company holding shares, remember that the California minimum franchise tax of $800 will continue to accrue forever and although the corporation is supposed to be responsible, rather than the members, (see Ralite), why is the LLC still alive if its not doing business? What happened in 09, 10? Are you running into the future with only a divided $800 loss? Has this corp stopped business? Hopefully there are no sales tax issues which might attach personally. Have you considered the 3 of 5 year profit rules and the "in business" requirement for ordinary and necessary deductions? I have big questions on what happened in 09, & 10. Where are the losses you propose in 011 coming from?

2. Henry Daniel Lively

3

Answered . File Form 1065 and 568 if your LLC is taxed as a partnership. Forms K-1 will be given to each member indicating their allocated share of the various items of income and expense. Sounds like the entity needs to hire an accountant to handle its tax matters. It will be money well spent.

3. Christopher John Lane

4

Answered . This sounds like a question for the LLC's accountant and or the member's accountants.