How do I report someone who is committing fraud.

Asked over 4 years ago - Baldwin, NY

My ex-husband works off the books as a construction worked to avoid paying child support based on income. I can't hire a Private investiagtor to prove this so I only recieve child support based on minimum wage also he collects public assistance, medicaid, food stamps, and housing help...based on his "no work" status. He says he doesn't have a job BUT he owns two new Luxury cars a 2009 mercedes and a 2010 lexus this is NOT fair to me, since we have a child he cheats out of child support or tax payers paying for his assistance.

1. Matthew Bryant

Answered . You are in a tough spot because New York law forbids attorneys from working on your matter on a contingency basis. You therefore would have to pay an attorney something upfront, who would then try to get the court to assess his or her fees against your ex. I tell you this because it may explain why it is difficult to find an attorney wlling to take your case.

What can you do now? If your ex is working off the books to avoid child support obligations, for starters you can report his employer to the Department of Labor. Second, you can report it to the Department of Taxation and Finance as well as the IRS. One of these three regulators may conduct an investigation into the employment relationship and begin the process of correcting and remedying his fraud.

I also suggest you try contacting your county Support Collection Unit and Family Court for more information about how to proceed and where to turn for help. The County's SCU may have the right to puruse your ex and should be able to advise you accordingly. I have cut and pasted your county information below:

Nassau County SCU
    60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard, Suite 160
    Uniondale, NY 11553-3686

8:00 AM-4:00 PM, Monday-Wednesday, Friday
    8:00 AM-8:00 PM, Thursday Mailing Address

Nassau County SCU
    Uniondale, NY 11553-3686

Email: CSEWEBNassau@dfa.state.ny.us
    Family Court

Nassau County Family Court
    1200 Old Country Road
    Westbury, NY 11590