Skip to main content

How do i report cash 3 winnings that were collected from lottery retailers($500 per ticket) to irs?

Miramar, FL |

because of the amount per ticket, no i.d. or anything was required. the money was won on separate occasions and added up to thousands of dollars. i need to report it to irs, pay tax, and pretty much get a tax form. and it's been months since the winnings.
please, help. thanx.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The Internal Revenue Service only requires the Florida Lottery to report all winnings of $600 or more for U.S. citizens and resident aliens.

Therefore, if the winnings individually were less than $600, the Florida Lottery did not report them. You could simply claim them on your tax return when you file your taxes. There would be no additional tax form from the Florida Lottery that I am aware of in this instance.

You local tax professional should be able to help with your additional earnings from your prize money. You will need to fill out a W-2G and 5754. You can find out more about those here:

Best of luck.

Zonald Spinks, Esq. Phone: (813) 413-5352 Fax: (813) 658-5893 Twitter: @ZonaldLaw Skype: Zonaldlaw Disclaimer: legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. This information is not intended as legal advice for an individual situation, it is only provided as information.


You need to report gambling net winnings over gambling losses. Winnings are reported under other income line 21 while losses are reported on schedule A.

Gambling losses must not exceed gambling winnings unless you are a professional gambler.

However, if you are a professional gambler, you can report REGULAR BUSINESS EXPENSES as unrelated to the gain/loss limitation. Make sure if you are a professional and keep books like a business. MAYO case below

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer