Skip to main content

How do I remove old and incorrect information from a mortgage on a foreclosed property in 2007 ?

Sanger, CA |

I have a 2 different mortgage companies reporting the same information on my tri-merge credit report (AMC Mortgage services and Citi Residential) with the same mortgage account number and open date (March 2006). The difference is that the loan was originally serviced by AMC Mortgage and then lost it in foreclosure, then Citi Residential took over. Citi Residential date of last activity was July 2007 and AMC was May 2007. My issue is that Citi Residential who last had the loan is not reporting a balance due, monthly payment or past due amount; AMC on the other hand is reporting a balance due, montly payment and past due amount. This is affecting how all three bureaus report my debt to income ratio. Any suggestions?
I received I.R.S Form 1099-A, Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Proper

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If there is a creditor incorrectly reporting on your credit report which negatively affects your credit score you may have recourse under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. (FCRA) A consumer attorney in your area should be able to assist you. Generally these cases are fee shifting which means that you should not have to forward any attorney fees. An attorney will receive their payment from the offending party. Furthermore, if successful, you may be entitled to up to $1,000.00 dollars in statutory damages and/ or actual damages. I am sure you can find a good consumer lawyer familiar with the FCRA in your area on AVVO



I disputed the account online with all three major credit bureaus last week, depending of the results I will go forward with an attorney. Thank you very much Mr. Rosenberg.



does the recourse work for credit accounts too? I have a collection that is past the statutue of limitations and the collection company has not validated the debt to date. I have already disputed the account with all three major credit bureaus. Please advise. The account being reported is nearly $6,000.


Yes. Write to each of them with a description and have them correct the problem. Or you can hire a credit repair attorney. There are several highly skilled ones on Avvo or you can ask your local bar association for a referral. They can have very long lasting positive effects.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer