How do i remove myself from lawsuit of fathers estate for unpaid taxes in state of TX

Springfield, MO |

My father passed away ( 2 yrs ) He died with NO Will.
He left a debt of unpaid property taxes in state of Texas. His taxes are more then the home is vauled at. I do not want or seek any gain.

There are 4 siblings, which one has passed but has 4 children.
Am trying to do what is right - How do i address this lawsuit and how do i remove myself?

I have never sued or been sued - will this be on my record and hurt me or my husband? I am the only child that stepped up and tried to help my father in his last months . I tried to the best of my abilities to take care of his affairs. Thank you

1. First, I recommend that you contact a lawyer in TX.

Commonly, however, if taxes remain unpaid for long enough, the property will be auctioned to the highest bidder so that the taxing agency can recoup something. For this reason you'll want to pay attention to any timeframes and deadlines that might be applicable to the payment of the taxes.

2. Are you in the lawsuit? Is that because you are on the title? Ask counsel in TX to address this issue for you or first call the agency in charge of suit and see what they suggest you do.

Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Missouri only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Missouri. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship. less

3. This factual scenario, if accurate, is very unusual. You should not be a party to the suit....UNLESS you are listed as an owner in the county property records. Heirs are not personally responsible for a decedent's delinquent property taxes as such taxes are recovered from the estate. I recommend you contact a Texas attorney for a brief consultation to make sure you are not listed as a property owner and, thus, subject to personal liability for unpaid taxes.

This attorney can be contacted via email at kcaldwell@caldwellakin.com or via phone at 817.305.7170. The above answer does not constitute, and should not be construed as, legal advice.

Estate planning topics