How do I remove my parents from the grant deed?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

The grant deed consists of my parents and me. How do I remove their names from the grant deed? Also, does that effect the property tax because the name on the property tax bill is my parents?

1. Shaun K. Boss

2

Answered . If they are willing to do so, your parents can file a grant deed or quitclaim deed naming you as the Grantee. You will also need to file a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report providing information to the Tax Assessor about the transfer. Since it is a transfer between parents and a child it will probably qualify for an exclusion from reassessment if you file the proper form after the deed is recorded.

2. Vincent J. Gallo

2

Answered . You don't remove them, they remove themselves.

3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

1

Answered . You should consult with an attorney before doing so. There may be tax issues, but if either parent receives disability or Medicaid, they may jeopardize their benefits by deeding the property to you.