How do I remove my husband's name from my son's birth certificate as presumed father if I don't know where my husband is?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Weymouth, MA

My husband and I married in Texas and then split up less than a year after and then I moved by myself to massachusetts. We both had agreed to get an annulment, I signed the papers and sent them back to him but he decided not to file them and not to speak to me ever again. He changed his phone number and moved. I moved on with my life and had a child with the man I'm currently with, but my son's father can't have his name on the birth certificate because I'm still married. I don't know how to get my husband's name removed as presumed father or file for divorce since I have no idea where he is. What should I do?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

21

Answered . sorry you have had such a difficult few years. You can proceed in a divorce by publication. Good luck and take care.

2. Christopher Joseph Fein

2

Answered . There is a way to get a divorce with service by publication. The court will require that you serve him by publishing in a local newspaper in circulation where he was last residing. Talk to an attorney and good luck.

3. Philip W. Mason

Pro

2

Answered . You really need to split your question into two parts.

The first is how to remove your husband’s name from the birth certificate and replace it with the name of the biological father. Here in Massachusetts that would be done with an affidavit of non-paternity from your husband and a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity by the biological father. Texas, however, may have different rules and you should pose your question on correcting the birth certificate as a Texas legal question since that is where I assume the child was born. If the child was born in Massachusetts please refer to the links below.

The alternative to correcting the birth certificate, if Texas law is prohibitively cumbersome, may be to have biological father adopt the child.

The second part of your question regarding divorce has already been answered by previous attorneys — divorce by publication.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/vital_reco...

http://www.hampshireprobate.com/Court%20Forms/F...

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/children-and-famil...

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.