How do I remove ex - boyfriend name from my child's birth certificate?

Asked 10 months ago - Chicago, IL

I have a 7 month old child who isn't biologically my ex - boyfriend's child. We were together at the time of birth and he signed the birth certificate and the vap form at the hospital. We have since broken up and he doesn't want his name on my child's birth certificate and also wants me to drop his last name from my child's name. My child's name was hyphenated with both of our last names. How do I go about getting this problem fixed. The real birth father and I have no contact with each other. I don't know where he is because he left the state.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your ex is probably out of luck. The problem is not just the birth certificate. He is legally the father of your child. Tell him to go see a lawyer to find out if there is any way around this but he signed a legal document and probably cannot get avoid his responsibilities now.

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

3

Answered . This is a mess. If he was not the biological father why did he sign the VAP? There is a very small window of time to rescind that signature. He needs a lawyer ASAP.

3. Wes Cowell

2

Answered . The ex-BF whose name is on the VAP is the father . . . forever.

You can still change the child's name. Just hire a lawyer.