How do I remove an erroneous tax lien?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Several years ago I did not file my Illinois tax return and the Illinois Department of Revenue got erroneous information from the IRS that convinced them I owed them money I did not. They then filed a lien with the Cook County Recorder of Deeds. I recently sent the Illinois Department of Revenue my tax return from the year in question with the requisite attached documentation and today received a response from them affirming that I am correct, that I do not owe them the money that triggered the lien. The lien appears on my credit report and I would like it removed. If I go to the Recorder of Deeds with proof in writing that the debt is erroneous, will this get it removed, or do I need to go through the Illinois Department of Revenue, or another entity?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

5

1

Answered . go through the Illinois Department of Revenue

2. Isai Bismark Cortez

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . You need to go through their department of revenue to ask for the lien to be removed and also ask them to send a lien removal notice to all 3 credit bureaus and if that doesn't work then you will have contact the credit agencies yourself. As long as you have proof it should not be too difficult. Hope this helps.

3. Andrew B Gordon

Pro

1

Answered . You need to have the Illinois Department of Revenue release the lien. My office has assisted clients in having IDoR errors reversed and liens removed; you may want to consult an attorney to help you with the process.

4. Bruce Givner

2

Answered . Messrs. Brinkmeier and Cortez have given you excellent advice.

5. Richard Gordon Stack

2

Answered . The credit bureau unfortunately cannot do anything to formally release the erroneous lien. In order to accomplish that, you'll need to call the Illinois Department of Revenue (or visit its website) and request the necessary application. Be sure to follow up on the status of your application so that it doesn't fall through the cracks. Good luck!