How do I remove an erroneous tax lien?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Several years ago I did not file my Illinois tax return and the Illinois Department of Revenue got erroneous information from the IRS that convinced them I owed them money I did not. They then filed a lien with the Cook County Recorder of Deeds. I recently sent the Illinois Department of Revenue my tax return from the year in question with the requisite attached documentation and today received a response from them affirming that I am correct, that I do not owe them the money that triggered the lien. The lien appears on my credit report and I would like it removed. If I go to the Recorder of Deeds with proof in writing that the debt is erroneous, will this get it removed, or do I need to go through the Illinois Department of Revenue, or another entity?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . go through the Illinois Department of Revenue

  2. Isai Bismark Cortez

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to go through their department of revenue to ask for the lien to be removed and also ask them to send a lien removal notice to all 3 credit bureaus and if that doesn't work then you will have contact the credit agencies yourself. As long as you have proof it should not be too difficult. Hope this helps.

    Isai Bismark Cortez, Esq. Office 855-829-6055 DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT... more
  3. Andrew B Gordon


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to have the Illinois Department of Revenue release the lien. My office has assisted clients in having IDoR errors reversed and liens removed; you may want to consult an attorney to help you with the process.

    Andrew B Gordon is a CPA and attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois. The information provided here is for... more
  4. Bruce Givner

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Messrs. Brinkmeier and Cortez have given you excellent advice.

  5. Richard Gordon Stack

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The credit bureau unfortunately cannot do anything to formally release the erroneous lien. In order to accomplish that, you'll need to call the Illinois Department of Revenue (or visit its website) and request the necessary application. Be sure to follow up on the status of your application so that it doesn't fall through the cracks. Good luck!

    The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,395 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,395 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering