Skip to main content

How do I relinquish legal guardianship back to parents?

Dayton, OH |

I took a 17 year old boy into my home because his parents could not deal with him. I have had him for awhile now and he is doing better but would like to go back and live with his father and grandpa now. So do I need the courts or can I just let him go considering he will be 18 in less than a year?

Attorney Answers 2


If he were 18 now, it wouldn't matter. Until then, technically it does matter. But then again, it is not clear that a legal guardianship occurred when he moved into your home, or did it? Custody and guardianship rights and obligations cases are very dependent on the law in each state and the way each county judge (including Montgomery County, Ohio) may approach your particular case. Perhaps no other area of law is so peculiarly local as this is. Because of that, you really should talk to a local attorney to find out what your rights are, what the law says, what the local judge's approach may be, and what you can and can not do in your situation. This is also the one area of law where a decision made today can have very long-term consequences so it is important that you have your side heard and considered. You need to talk to a local Custody Law attorney who deals with your kind of case on a regular basis in your local court. You can search the Avvo website list of attorneys under the Find a Lawyer tab, or call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Custody Law or Domestic Relations attorney near you. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge,

Here’s one list of Domestic Relations attorneys in Ohio, click here

Want info on sensible divorce and custody alternatives? click here

Click here for a list of state and local attorney bar associations

Prefer to talk to a woman attorney? Click here for a list of state and local women attorney’s bar associations

What are attorney bar associations and how do they work? Click on this Wikipedia answer here

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. If you need a Consumer Law attorney, click the link above to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It all depends on whether you actually became his legal guardian or not. If you did not file papers before he can go back to his father unless court papers would say otherwise. If you did file for legal guardianship or sign a temporary guardianship agreement then you need to file the same thing again or get an attorney to draft a termination agreement if it didn't go through court but a temporary guardianship was entered. Good luck.
Dayton Area Attorney

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics