Skip to main content

How do I relinquish guardianship of a minor?

Spencer, IN |

I have legal guardianship of my 7 year old grandson and would like to return him to his mother. What is the easiest, legal way to do this?

Attorney Answers 1


Hire a local attorney. The attorney should assist you in filing a petition to remove you as guardian over your grandson, and appoint the child's mother as guardian. Please note that a guardian ad litem will have to be appointed to represent the interests of your grandson, and that the court will greatly scrutinize the ability of mother to act as her child's guardian.

Mr. Dial is licensed to practice law in IN with offices in Vanderburgh County. His phone number is 812-425-3592 or his email address is
Mr. Dial is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Indiana law. Any references to a trust, estate, guardianship, business or adoption lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Dial limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dial strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics