How do I reject a release agreement?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lansing, MI

I recently received a letter from an attorney telling me that a home that I am to get a percentage of through a will had been given an offer. The attorney also sent a release stating that I agree to the sale. I do not agree to the amount offered due to it being a difference of 40 thousand dollars between offer and tax appraised. How do I let them know that I do not agree.

1. Paul A. Smolinski

Pro

3

Answered . I would suggest that you call the attorney and express your concerns. I would bet that he/she will have a good answer for you.

In my practice it is not uncommon that heirs/beneficiaries believe that real estate is being sold for less than fair value. Today's reality is that a property is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. That also assumes that, if the buyer needs a loan, the property will appraise sufficiently.

If you need a personal consultation to give you specific legal advice I would suggest that you look to www.naela.org for a probate attorney near you.

Good Luck.

2. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . It is not clear whether or not you have the right to object or not. The personal representative probably has the right to sell this at whatever price he/she deems to be reasonable. If the sale needs to be approved by the court, (due to restrictions in the letters of authority), then there may be a hearing and you would have the chance to have your objections heard.

James Frederick

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Answered . I would just send a written reponse saying that you reject the offer because the price is too low.