Skip to main content

How do i reduce my child support

Hollister, MO |

I have not had any contact with my child nor have i been given the oppurtunity for over 10 years, she is remarried and i am now expecting a new child with my current gf/ future wife. I also am making signifigantly less than i have been in the past few years.

Attorney Answers 2


As Mr. Tolin said, you will change child support through a motion to modify. It can be complicated, so I too suggest contacting an attorney. Preferably one with family law experience.

Unfortunately, the new child will not be grounds for a change, nor her remarrying.

However, the decrease in income will likely satisfy the standards required for a modification. You may also want to establish visitation/custody of your children when you go back to modify. Having more time with the kids will reduce the child support as well. Time with the kids is one of the factors considered on the form 14 (the form used to calculate child support).

Good luck!

*** If you like my answer, please mark it as the best answer.

C. Curran Coulter II, J.D.
Attorney and Counselor at Law
8000 Maryland Ave., Suite 1060
St. Louis, Missouri 63105
Office: (314) 721-1116
Fax: (314) 725-1026

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Missouri and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. Responses are based solely on Missouri law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Hire an attorney to file a motion to modify. it has to be base on a substantial change in circumstances, and if you are not making a lot less money, you have a right to seek a modification.You will need an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics