Skip to main content

How do I recover my file from my attorney subsequent to a settled, non-suppressed divorce case after everyone was paid ?

Philadelphia, PA |

My attorney sent me a letter "case is settled, closed, completed" but did not offer to return my file. All fees were paid based upon schedule of distribution. No outstanding balance due. After a while I sent an e-mail stating that I wanted the file back. After a while I sent a second e-mail requesting the return of my file. I was told to "contact a lawyer" to get my file back. I thought the file was "my property" based upon the guidelines of Lawyer's Professional Code of Conduct" and other doc's. Am I entitled to recovery by request ? The file is not suppressed for any reason. How long should it reasonably take to recover ? I know I could pay for certain hard-copies as per guidelines. Do I need an attorney to recover my file ? Philadelphia, PA

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You are right. You are entitled to the file and you should not need an attorney to get it.
I recommend that you follow up with a letter--add everything you put in this question and add a date and time you will be at the lawyer's office to pick it up and ask them to have it ready.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.


It is. Send one request with notification you're going to file an ethics complaint if you don't have it in five days.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer