Skip to main content

How do I receive the I-551 stamp?

Aurora, CO |

I know for sure that there is an adjustment to permanent residency application that is pending right now. Would that be enough for me to ask for the I-551 stamp? or is there something else I need to do to get it?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. If the adjustment is only pending, you would not get an I-551 stamp.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

  2. You are not permitted to obtain an I-551 stamp in your passport unless the green card application has been approved.

    Contact me at This response is provided for informational purposes. I cannot provide legal advice specific to the facts of your particular case without a signed contract in which you have agreed to allow me to represent you.

  3. Your passport can only receive an I-551 stamp if your application is approved.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. Although in the past the Denver office was easygoing about entering I-551 stamps after the interview and upon granting residence, the Denver office is much more reluctant to do so now absent proof of emergency circumstances.

    Any answer provided is for informational use only and not to be construed as legal advice. One should not act or refrain to act based on the information provided. No attorney-client relationship is created until a contract is signed by both the attorney and the client.

  5. Not able to get the I-551 stamp until your I-485/green card has been approved.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics