How do I qualify for a home equity loan if I'm self employed?

Portland, OR |

I want to take out a home equity loan, but am also self employed. Will I have a hard time qualifying? What kind of documents will the lender look for in a case like mine?

Self employed persons often have a more difficult time verifying their financial condition. There is no absolute standard, and the best approach might be to start contacting some lender or mortgage brokers to discuss their requirements and your financial situation.

This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship and obviously is not confidential. You should contact an attorney in your area who can review with you all of the relevant facts and give you specific legal advice.

Generally, the lender will want proof your last three years income sufficient to repay the loan with interest over 5 years. They will expect to see your income tax returns supporting the income.
Depending on your credit score and the income tax returns, it may not be difficult to qualify for the loan.

If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you! hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER James Oberholtzer is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the States of Illinois, Oregon and Washington. He has offices in Chicago, Illinois and Portland, Oregon. His law practice focuses on estate planning, probate administration, family succession planning, tax,real estate and tax exempt organizations. The foregoing statements do not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state.

This is not a legal question. You need to start calling and talking to lenders to find out. I can tell you that self employed people can and do qualify for home equity loans but it is usually based on showing a history of steady income so recently employed people, whether self employed or salaried generally have more trouble getting credit. Best to start with the loan department of you bank if you have had the account for a while. At least you have some history with that bank that might help.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.