How do I put a lien on a vehicle from a Writ Of Execution?

I won my judgement and then obtained a writ of Execution. It is good for six months. Please advise me how do I go about obtaining a lien on the debtor's vehicle.

The only thing I have is a license plate number, make, model and year. I also think he has another vehicle as well that I am checking into. Thank you in advance.

You cannot put a "lien" on the vehicle. You can have the Sheriff seize the vehicle and sell it at auction. You must front the Sheriff's fees, towing, storage, etc. You must give the Sheriff the specific location of the vehicle. they won't search for it. And, you must pay be prepared to pay the debtor the amount of the exemption, about $2,750. If the vehicle sells for more at an "as is" auction, that amount is applied towards your judgment. If there is anything left over after satisfying your judgment, that balance goes back to the debtor. Check with the Sheriff as to their exact fees and requirements.

As Mr. Lysle stated, the judgment creditor can have a sheriff's sale of personal property, subject to various exemptions, including the exemption for work tools. The process requires you to put some money on the table and invest time to make it happen legally.

It is possible that the debtor may be pushed into bankruptcy if their vehicles are seized. Then, he or she can then use the $23,000 wildcard exemption to exempt the vehicles and discharge a civil judgment.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com
www.facebook.com/SoCalConsumerLawyer
Twitter: @RStempler

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as Avvo.com, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com and submit a free eCase Review. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.