How do I provide proof of employment of a volunteer position (held in the past during my OPT) in my H1B application ?

San Francisco, CA |

I have had 3 employers (2 paid full time, 1 volunteer part time) during my OPT. I have reported to my school about each of my employers within 10 days of starting employment with each of these and my international student adviser has updated them in the SEVIS system accordingly. I am applying for my H1B visa. I am not sure if I am required to provide proof of employment from both of my past employers but I would rather err on the safe side. I have an I-9 form for both the full time employers (current employer is a full time employer and is sponsoring my H1B) However, since 1 of my employments was a volunteer position, there is no I-9 available for it. Does USCIS require tangible proof of employment for this position or is only the current pay stub enough ?

1. No CIS doesn't require proof ... normally. But, sometimes they do.

Get a letter from the organization and put it into your file ... just incase.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. Mention only your full-time employer. There is no requirement to provide pay stubs or any other proof of prior employment.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

4. You are required to document maintaining status towards COS, but the SEVIS seems to be sufficient for that. If you will be using the volunteer experience towards H-1B eligibility, then you may want to document it with an experience letter

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.