How do I provide for my special needs son who is turning 17 soon? Do I need a special trust set up for him? What kind of

Asked over 1 year ago - Westbury, NY

Attorney do I seek out? My son is certainly capable of working independently but he does have a classified learning disability. Is he eligible for Medicaid? Not sure how to proceed in the best interest of my son.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Matthew Erik Johnson

    Contributor Level 17
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . 1, He may be able to apply for SSDI if his disability is bad enough. However, if he is capable of working, he may not qualify.
    2. You would be wise to in one or more life insurance policies. One term life that would be placed into an irrevocable life insurance trust (to save taxes), and make sure that the trustee (the person handling the money) is different than the person who will be actually taking care of your son (the guardian), if he needs one.
    3. You may also want to take out some sort of savings plan life insurance policy that will grow over time. This won't give you the bulk money you may need with term, but will be there if you live past the age of 60, at which point term insurance is hugely expensive or impossible to get

    With these two things in place, he should be a least moderately set up to have the financial backing he may need for the rest of his life.

    Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale... more
  2. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult with an estate planning attorney regarding a possible special needs trust for your son. That will allow him to (continue to) receive government assistance without the need to spend down his inheritance first.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,203 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,203 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering