How do I prove that my ex-husband has assets?

Asked over 2 years ago - Rocklin, CA

My ex is in violation of our MSA. I have gone to court and demanded that he show his bank accounts but he simply didnt appear. I know for a fact that he has a bank account and a trust fund left to him by his mother. But I do not know how to show the judge that he has these assets since I dont have his acct. numbers or any paperwork proving the trust. His friends have told me he recived a large payout from the trust that would more than satisfy what he owes me. How do I prove that in court? My financial situation is dire and I need what he owes me to break even. I dont think I can afford to hire a private detective.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kevin Samuel Sullivan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to serve him with discovery and involve the court if the does not respond.

  2. Robert Ricci

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If you aren't going to hire an investigator, it will be difficult. You should ask the court for the right to issue subpoenas and take his deposition perhaps. The court will not do the work for you. Getting a copy of his tax return will help you identify accounts by reviewing the interest/dividends earned. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,626 answers this week

3,287 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,626 answers this week

3,287 attorneys answering