How do I prove 5 year physical presence in US without primary documents?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

I am trying to obtain US citizenship for my daughter who is born to me (US Citizen) and a non-Citizen out of wedlock. My family and I currently reside out of the US. I have been a citizen since 1980, but began traveling often to Asia from 1992-2002, and finally moved here in 2003. At my visit, the Consular worker denied my request because she said I did not provide sufficient evidence to prove 5 year physical presence. I showed her my passport and my SSN statement, but was still denied. I was unemployed or self-employed during my stay, so I do not have any tax returns. I attended trade schools, which have since closed down, so I am unable to obtain transcripts. So what documents can I provide to prove my physical presence in US for 5 years? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you

1. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Any other third party documents showing your presence in the US.

2. Brian David Lerner

Pro

1

Answered . There are several ways of proving physical presence without primary evidence. Secondary evidence will include declarations from persons who are familiar with the situation, attestations from church officials, proof that the school closed down, utility statements, receipts, rent statements, tickets, etc.

3. Philip Alan Eichorn

1

Answered . Cases that are factually specific require detailed interview of the client and not simply a message board answer. The reason is that we, the attorneys on the board, are limited to the scope of your life that you've put in your question. Clearly, a few sentences doesn't encompass that entire five year period in which you need to prove presence. I suggest you retain experienced immigration counsel to complete this task and filing.