How do I prove 5 year physical presence in US without primary documents?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

I am trying to obtain US citizenship for my daughter who is born to me (US Citizen) and a non-Citizen out of wedlock. My family and I currently reside out of the US. I have been a citizen since 1980, but began traveling often to Asia from 1992-2002, and finally moved here in 2003. At my visit, the Consular worker denied my request because she said I did not provide sufficient evidence to prove 5 year physical presence. I showed her my passport and my SSN statement, but was still denied. I was unemployed or self-employed during my stay, so I do not have any tax returns. I attended trade schools, which have since closed down, so I am unable to obtain transcripts. So what documents can I provide to prove my physical presence in US for 5 years? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Any other third party documents showing your presence in the US.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Brian David Lerner


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are several ways of proving physical presence without primary evidence. Secondary evidence will include declarations from persons who are familiar with the situation, attestations from church officials, proof that the school closed down, utility statements, receipts, rent statements, tickets, etc.

    We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100%... more
  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Cases that are factually specific require detailed interview of the client and not simply a message board answer. The reason is that we, the attorneys on the board, are limited to the scope of your life that you've put in your question. Clearly, a few sentences doesn't encompass that entire five year period in which you need to prove presence. I suggest you retain experienced immigration counsel to complete this task and filing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,641 answers this week

3,132 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,641 answers this week

3,132 attorneys answering