How do I protect myself when making homemade headbands, bows, barettes, etc?

Roodhouse, IL |

I want to start making headbands, hair bows, and clips. I have ordered my supplies from various vendors including some from ebay. I put the headbands, bows, barrettes together myself using those supplies and then sell them through the internet and vendor shows. I am afraid if a child was unsupervised and put part or all of it in their mouth or wrap it around their neck or poke their eye, I would somehow be responsible for the accident and/or injuries. How do I protect myself and my family.

Insure yourself against the risk and talk to a local business lawyer. Even if you formed a corporation, if you're the one actually making the goods, you can be sued individually in all probability. Insurance companies will review your products before committing to insure them and may make valuable suggestions to prevent injuries too. It's also a very good idea to check the CPSC website, which has a lot of links to regulations on consumer products. Good luck.

Please be sure to mark the best answer to your question. My answers are general and do not form an attorney-client relationship. I'm happy to talk to prospective clients in my areas of concentration and geographical location.

Linscott Roberts Hanson

Linscott Roberts Hanson

Bob has captured the essence of the problem and the best solution(s) available. Great answer. Primarily the insurance, but the other suggestions are good ones, too.

Form a corporation.