How do I protect myself if I don't have insurance and I got into an auto accident?

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

Specifically, I did not have auto insurance for the time the auto accident occurred. I want to know if there is any way to protect myself with the power of an attorney against inflated auto damage reports from the other party as well as injury claims. Are there options and room to arbitrate or negotiate with the other party's insurance company?

Let me explain this situation further- I rear ended another car on the freeway. There is absolutely no damage to my car and the damage to the other car should not be that bad either. Considering that I have no insurance, I was contacted by the other party's insurance and told that I owe 1,800 dollars for the auto damage alone, which does not make sense! In addition I found that the other party is filing an injury claim. How can a attorney help me mitigate this situation?

1. Albert Lee Crosner

8

Answered . You really need to talk to a defense attorney as you did not have any insurance at the time of the accident. I would suggest contacting a personal injury attorney in your area that can provide you with the defense you will be needing. if there are any injuries involved, you could be held liable for a large sum of money. There may be "options and room to arbitrate or negotiate with the other party's insurance company", but if you are not an attorney you do not know how to go about handling those claims. They can be very hard to resolve. Good luck.

2. Malosack Berjis

7

Answered . Your best bet is to hire an attorney to defend (and, as you have stated yourself, protect) you.

3. James Michael Bergener

Pro

6

1

Answered . I agree. Hiring an attorney to represent you is your best chance at defending against any miscalculated or unrelated injury and property damage claims. If you have questions, contact an attorney and consult with him/her about your options. Consultations are usually free of charge.

4. John Adam Marder

2

1

Answered . There is little you can so after the fact. I would still immediately secure insurance to bring yourself back into the proper legal standard, but as far as the accident which already occurred you are at a great disadvantage.

Any claim you make, you are limited to your fixed damages, ie. medical bills, property damage, etc., and not pain and suffering.

You seem to be at fault and would be thus liable for the other parties' damages and would have to pay your own legal defense costs.

The only good news is that if you were uninsured, the injured party usually just pursues their own insurance company under their uninsured motorist coverage and if you are judgement proof and uninsured, in most cases the plaintiff will have little or no interest in pursuing you.

Pro

3

1

Answered . Retain one of the lawyers in your state above to resolve this for you.

6. Matthew Charles Price

Pro

1

1

Answered . You need to hire a lawyer before you do anything else. You should pay no money to anyone unless you are assured that you will receive a full release.

One or more answers have been taken down.