How do I protect my logo for a non profit organization?

Asked over 1 year ago - Burlington, NC

Last year we started a benefit ride to raise money for a friend that needed a kidney transplant. we would like to continue it annually for others suffering from this. we are planning this years event and found out that a local kidney center used our name on their flyers/t-shirts after receiving a flyer about last years event. How do we protect our events name? Would it be better to get a copyrite or a trademark? We have a fed tax id # in order to take donations at our local bank under an account with the same name. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Please advise.

1. Michael Charles Doland

2

1

Answered . Your logo could be copyrighted or trademarked, depending on what you want to protect: artistic creation or identification of the source of a product/service. If someone is already using your name (as opposed to logo) this is beyond a do it yourself project in terms of a cease and desist letter and or registration. Perhaps you and the kidney center can collaborate for your mutual benefit.

2. Sarah Jessica Farber

Answered . I think you'd do well to talk to an attorney about this issue. As the other attorney has mentioned, you are beyond the point where applying for copyright or trademark protection is a do it yourself process.