How do I proceed in garnishing someone's wages post-judgement?

Asked about 1 year ago - Spokane, WA

I sued and won a judgement for $4,524.00, waited the 30 days without any payment or word from the people I sued, then bought a copy of the judgement transcript. I downloaded the "application for writ of garnishment" and the "writ of garnishment", but what do I do now? I'm unfamiliar with the garnishment process. I don't know which papers to fill out, file, where to file them, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

1. Kevin Terry Steinacker

1

Answered . I can't give you a complete rundown of the procedure with all the rules and exceptions, but it is described in RCW 6.27. Basically, you file your application for a writ and get the clerk to issue the writ. Then you serve the writ on the debtor and the garnishee. Then you wait for an answer and exemption claim. Then, if everything has gone well, you ask the court to enter judgment based on the answer. Sounds like you might be talking about a small claims judgment. If so, you might want to just hire an attorney to do it because there is a statute allowing you to recover all attorney's fees incurred in collection of a small claims judgment.

I am not your attorney. My response is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.
  2. Michael J Corbin

Answered . It depends on the precise series of events necessary in WA. If you have to make an application to the court for a writ of garnishment to obtain the actual writ, that's what you do first. Some states simply require that you forward a complete packet of garnishment paperwork to the debtor's employer and demand they start garnishing the person's paycheck.