How do i prevent my father from getting fired when he whistleblow wrong doings by others in his store.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Indiana, PA

I am an extreme couponer and i was shopping at the supermarket my father works at using tips and blogs from online to get groceries and supplies for my local women's shelter and other charities. I would use my coupons from sunday papers and from outher papers to get stuff for free . When i started getting large amounts of items say 360 or more and not paying using my coupons . customer service managers started making my fathers life bad to the point of retaliating against him. I used valued coupons that i use at other stores of same chain and no problem just there store. one day the said the would not give me full value of my coupons . they also said i was no longer allowed to ad match. i had friends ad match the were given no problem why is my family being profiled and targeted

1. Harold Mark Goldner

3

Answered . And now your answer from a Pennsylvania employment lawyer.

First of all, your father does not have a Whistleblower claim under PA law. The PA Whistleblower Act only applies to employees of essentially PUBLIC employers (or private employers engaged in government contracts) who report conduct which wastes taxpayers' money. This is most assuredly NOT such a case.

Secondly, I'm quite certain that employees are clearly instructed that they are not permitted to allow family members to use their discounts, or at least use them outside specific limitations. I have personally handled several cases of discharged employees from other chains who enabled their family members to utilize coupons excessively.

Thirdly, why on EARTH would you want to put your father in this position?

Neither you nor your father have any claim cognizable under PA law. It's not a legal matter at all; I would suggest you exercise a little better judgment next time.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Many store chains are changing their coupon rules as a result of the Discovery Channel TV show 'Extreme Couponing'. You did not describe anything that appears to be retaliation against your father and without a complete review of his employment history it would be too speculative to opine otherwise. Recommend your father seek out an employment attorney in his local area.

3. George Ellis Corson IV

Answered . Agreed. There is nothing in here describing any adverse treatment of Pop as a result of your legal actions. Stores usually reserve the right to limit quantities, so I am not sure you are being singled out just because you cannot get more free stuff.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.