How do I postpone my devorce court date with no att?

Asked over 2 years ago - Berryville, AR

I have court date aug 3rd. I need more time to better my self and hire atty. I really need to Know what form i need and how to get it.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kathryn L. Hudson


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Did you respond to the summons and complaint within thirty days of being served, if not you may have waived an answer and the hearing is for the final decree. If there are children involved the hearing may be for temporary custody and support ahead if the final hearing, if this is the case you might be able to ask the court for a brief continuance stating you wish to hire an attorney. Right away you should write a letter to the court; the letter should state the case name such as "John Smith v Marry Smith" and the case number which will start with DR. In the letter state that you respectfully ask the court for a brief continuance as you wish to hire an attorney and up until now you were unable to. You should hand carry it to the Circuit Court clerk and have it filed then hand carry a filed copy to the judge's office and see if you can get a continuance right there. Most court's give a little leeway when someone is without counsel, you may get scolded though for waiting so long. Good luck and I highly recommend you retain an attorney as soon as possible.

  2. J. Paul Davidson

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Hudson. You need to inform the court of your circumstances in writing. In the letter, you need to request a continuance so that you can retain counsel. I would recommend drafting the letter and hand delivering it first thing in the morning. Courts are typically more apt to grant a continuance if you have reached out to a particular attorney and can drop that attorney's name to the court. It's even better if you have retained that attorney and only need a continuance in order to give that attorney time to prepare. Feel free to drop me an email if you want to discuss in the morning.

Related Topics

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,240 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,240 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering