How do I plead on my petty theft charges?

Chillicothe, OH |

I made a horrible decision today and am being charged with petty theft. I was arrested today and bonded out with a court date tomorrow at 9am. I don't have time or the means to find an attorney. They have video evidence, and I'm not trying to get out of it. However, this is my first offense and I am a nurse concerned with my career. I know I should have been thinking of that at the time, and am willing to apologize, pay fines, community service anything but jail time.

The item stolen was 8.99

Follow these instructions to the letter. When you go to your Arraignment tomorrow, greet the Judge with a hearty "Good morning, Your Honor. I am well aware of this charge, so you don't have to read the charge to me. Your Honor, I enter a plea of NOT GUILTY to it. I am asking you to please consider letting me go on my own recognizance. I have never been in trouble before. I absolutely guarantee you I will return to your Courtroom whenever you order me to do so, Judge. Thank you!"

Yeah, I know that there is strong evidence against you. Nonetheless, enter a NOT GUILTY plea. Period.

Doing so will stall the clock out for a few months on this case, which will give you the time necessary to find a good lawyer to represent you. You absolutely need a lawyer, as you probably cannot resolve the case on your own to the same degree that a competent lawyer can. You wouldn't advise someone to stitch themselves up in the ER, would you?

As a nurse, you absolutely SHOULD be considered with how this case can affect your career. A lawyer can represent you much more effectively than you can on your own, so don't even think that begging, pleading, etc. will get you out of it. Just hire a lawyer and let her/him handle the way the case is resolved.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck in the case and beyond!

Atty. Dennis A. DiMartino
Youngstown, Ohio

The above information is shared for educational and discussion purposes only. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established through your reliance on the information provided. If your legal rights could be impacted by using this information, you are urged to seek legal counsel before taking action. Atty. Dennis A. DiMartino 1032 Boardman-Canfield Road Suite 103 Youngstown, OH 44512-4238 330.629.9030 Ext. 111 Phone 330.629.9036 FAX Dennis.DiMartino@gmail.com

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This is so helpful, I know I was in the wrong and believe that punishment should fit the crime. I was very stupid today, but am lawful in every other right. Being a single mom, loosing my career scares me to death. And I had no idea what to do next, now I do. Thank you again!!

John Paul Thygerson

John Paul Thygerson

Sound advice and well stated!

Walk into the courthouse. You will most lokely see a prosecutor. Tell him/her you want to plead guilty.

Of course, I have to ask, why would you ever just want to do that? At a minimum, ask for a pleas disposition offer that gives you the chance to have this bad decision taken off your record at some point!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

I have no idea honestly. Thank you for your help. Should I ask for a public defender to see about getting it off my record completely? Again thank you for taking the time to help.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

No problem. You can always ask for the Public Defender, but I don't think you'll get one because of the nature of the allegations (too small).

Amanda Ackerman Condon

Amanda Ackerman Condon

I respectfully disagree. This is a charge that carries up to 6 months in jail and up to a $1000 fine. This person could also lose their job over this conviction in Ohio! A public defender could be appointed if you meet the statutory guidelines. And not all courts, in fact most in my experience do not have prosecutors available at an initial appearance!

Rula Raphael Raphael

Rula Raphael Raphael

Enter a NOT Guilty plea at arraignment! Then ask for court appointed attorney, if you qualify for one which happens even if you have a job because of your expenses....if you dont, then lots of attorneys offer payment plans.

Plead not guilty and hire an attorney or ask to have one appointed. You may not qualify for a public defender as there are statutory guidelines relating to your income.
I would recommend you say as little in possible during your appearance. Be polite, show respect and plead not guilty. Nothing else is necessary when speaking to the judge or magistrate.

Amanda Ackerman Condon
Piscitelli Law Firm
Cleveland, Ohio 44143
(216) 931-7000
amanda@feplaw.com
www.forjusticenow.com

This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer.

One show up to court and plead not guilty. You then need to find some way to hire an attorney. A theft conviction can be fatal to a nurse's career. Many attorneys will make a payment plan with you. Do not talk to anyone about the case other than the attorney you retain.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio
(937)510-6110 phone
attycbeck@gmail.com
www.becklawofficellc.com

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Assuming you haven't already entered a plea, you need to get counsel. Our judges in Chillicothe will, of course, treat you fairly and with respect, but it's very important that you have someone experienced to represent your interests. If you ask for a continuance, our judges will grant your request. If you've already entered a plea, then hire counsel before your next hearing date.

You should be aware that a charge like this could have an impact on your license, as well as future prospects. The good news is that a competent defense attorney will know how to take advantage of certain programs available to avoid these problems.

Should I plea not guilty then? I wad unaware of the dress code for court and had a tiny tear in my jeans and they rescheduled my court date until tomorrow morning. I've never been in trouv

Benjamin J Partee

Benjamin J Partee

Yes, plead not guilty. If you'd like, feel free to contact my office to schedule a free consult. The information is at www.chillicothedefense.com.