How do i obtain settlement records

Settlement as a result of my mother's death in Utah, I need to locate and access the accounts that the settlement money was deposited in, and im not getting any help from my father.

Albuquerque, NM -

Stephen D Aarons

Stephen D Aarons

Personal Injury Lawyer - Santa Fe, NM

If your mother died without a will you should be a beneficiary and entitled to know. You should consider hiring a personal injury lawyer who will only charge off money you receive, a contingent fee. You could look for any probate case or wrongful death suit filed on behalf of your mothers estate but maybe your father settled out of court and signed for his children under the age of 18. Another good resource is the police report which may have the name of one or more insurance companies who you could contact. The statute of limitations is 3 years but as an intestate beneficiary you have a right to know and a right to a share of money.

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Personal Injury Lawyer - White Plains, NY

It could be very difficult to find out what happened to the settlement funds, depending on many factors that you don't mention in your post. You may or may not have rights to a share of the settlement, and if you have no rights, you get no information. Wrongful death settlements generally go through the superior court in the state where the case was brought, and may involve probate proceedings as well. You need to consult with a personal injury lawyer or a probate lawyer in Utah, preferably in the county where the case was filed. It's going to be almost impossible to get this information without guidance from a lawyer with specific knowledge of the Utah laws and procedures.

Randall Richard Sevenish

Randall Richard Sevenish

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Indianapolis, IN

I would consult with a local attorney. It can be difficult to get these documents and locate them. Good luck.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Best way is to retain one of the personal injury lawyers in your state above to investigate this for you.