Skip to main content

How do i obtain legal guardianship of an elderly parent and the most inexpensive way to start?

Fishers, IN |

My mother has Alzheimer's Disease incapable of making many decisions. I need to access my deceased father's accounts which are now hers in order to pay for her care. Can I do this with Power of Attorney or do I need guardianship over her? What is needed and what is the most inexpensive way to do this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you already have a POA executed (prior to onset of incapacity), you may be able to use it to access accounts - you just need to check to see what authorities you have. From the facts given, your mother lacks capacity to enter into a POA at this point, so if you don't already have the agency, a guardianship is probable. You should contact an attorney licensed in Indiana, and experienced in probate law.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer