How do i obtain legal guardianship of an elderly parent and the most inexpensive way to start?

Fishers, IN |

My mother has Alzheimer's Disease incapable of making many decisions. I need to access my deceased father's accounts which are now hers in order to pay for her care. Can I do this with Power of Attorney or do I need guardianship over her? What is needed and what is the most inexpensive way to do this?

If you already have a POA executed (prior to onset of incapacity), you may be able to use it to access accounts - you just need to check to see what authorities you have. From the facts given, your mother lacks capacity to enter into a POA at this point, so if you don't already have the agency, a guardianship is probable. You should contact an attorney licensed in Indiana, and experienced in probate law.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates