How do I obtain court records?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kalamazoo, MI

I want the court records from the case I was the witness in. A sexual abuse case against my uncle, he was underage at the time of the trial and so was I. He is now 26 and I am 17, can I obtain the court records or are the records sealed? I just want more information about his sentencing.

1. Mickey David Larson

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Kopelson. Contact the clerk of the court that handled his criminal case, and they can probably answer whatever questions you might have. Good luck. Take care.

2. Robert Bruce Kopelson

2

Answered . I dont practice in MI, but if he was not prosecuted as an adult, it is likely that the juvenile records are not public, and a court order would be reqd. You can contact the court clerk's office and ask about access. You can also contact a local criminal law atty.

3. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

1

Answered . In many jurisdictions, criminal or quasi criminal actions against minors are sealed;particularly if the minor prevailed. It would no doubt require at a minimum a formal motion to the court where the proceedings were conducted to get the records unsealed (not a guarantee even if you were directly or indirectly involved in those proceedings), but the Clerk of the Court will be able to give you instructions as to the steps to be taken.