How do I obtain an "Order to Vacate"?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Elgin, IL

My husband and I divorced in 1996 and then remarried each other in 2006.
We were told by the pension board that we need an "order to vacate" to reverse the way my husband's pension was to be dispersed when the time arrived.
The time is now upon us but we do not know who to contact to get this done.
Can someone please help us ??
We were in Cook County when we divorced but now we live in Kane County

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Petition the court where you were divorced to issue an order to vacate. If you do not know how, (it is procedurally complicated) just hire a lawyer. Good luck.

  2. David Matthew Gotzh


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Agreed. You can do this through Kane County, but it'll be faster to just motion the issue up in Cook and get the order entered.

  3. Nicholas Paul Baker

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I would not attempt this by yourself. Contact either a Kane County attorney or a Cook County attorney to help you out with this. Search Avvo for someone to help.

    This should not be construed as legal advice or the making of an attorney-client relationship. this information... more
  4. J. Richard Kulerski

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Hire a divorce lawyer to be sure it is done properly. You have a lot at stake.

  5. Stephen Samuel Messutta

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Either of the attorneys who represented you then should be able to help now or you can choose new counsel. The work needs to be performed in Cook where the judgment and marital settlement were entered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,598 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,598 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering