How do I obtain a prenuptial agreement and what is the process?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Anaheim, CA

I am not rich or famous, but I plan on getting married in Las Vegas soon. But I might have a very large amount of money in the future. Which in case, I may divorce in the future or not, I would like to protect my current and future assets through a prenuptial agreement. But I reside in California. Does the prenup have to be in that state of marriage?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Rebekah Ryan Main


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You do need to have the pre-nup run by an attorney. I have seen pre-nups create far more trouble than they’re worth, because they were inartfully drafted, ambiguous and not signed by parties who had benefit of independent counsel.

    Best of luck to you.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "thumbs-up" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

    This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

  2. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . No, it doesn't.

    To have a BINDING VALID premarital agreement, (instead of one that just gets you more potential trouble later on) you should speak to an attorney with substantial experience in dealing with family and matrimonial law issues. Explain to him, or her, what you want to accomplish, and learn what parts of the "off the shelf" marriage contract you can, and can't change with a pre-nup. THEN decide, with that attorney, what sort of agreement you need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,043 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,043 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering