How do i obtain a power of attorney in the state of Indiana, in order to sell my deceased mother's home?

Asked about 1 year ago - Laurel, MD

I live in Laurel, MD but need power of attorney in the state of Indiana

1. Thomas C Valkenet

Pro

10

1

Answered . It will not work. A Power of Attorney only applies to living folks. Now that Mom is dead, you must open an Estate and obtain letters of Administration. If she died in Indiana, you must open the Estate there. You will need an Indiana lawyer to assist you. If she died in Maryland, you will open an Estate here and ancillary proceedings in Indiana. You cannot sell the house without clearing the probate process since it may be necessary to liquidate the asset in order to pay Mom's bills.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . My condolences on your loss. A power of attorney is a document signed by a living person that grants legal authority to another person do a certain act on behalf of the grantor. The legal procedure you will need to resolve property ownership of a person who is deceased is called probate. Contact an experienced probate attorney who practices in the county where your mother died or where the house is located for precise information about the least complicated probate procedure that will meet your needs.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Charles Adam Shultz

7

1

Answered . You are going to have to open a probate in the state where your mom died. If that was not Indiana, then a probate an ancillary probate will be necessary. Contact a probate attorney in Indiana.