How do I obtain a death certificate with cause of death for an ex spouse whom I had no former children with?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I am transitioning from service in the military and had an insurance policy taken out on him while we were married and the claim was still effective during the time divorce and up to his death. In order to get the payout I need a with cause of death certificate which I am not authorized since I was not within his immediate family at the time of death. How can I legally get this document from the state of Tennessee where he passed away?

1. David M. Pyke

1

Answered . A Tennessee attorney hasn't answered this question, and you need to know the law in Tennessee. In Texas, you have to be related to the deceased to get a death certificate. They aren't public records. To find out about Tennessee, call the County Clerk in the county where he died and they can give you the rules. Unless you can get it without being related, contact an attorney in that county and see what they can do.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . 1, Hire an attorney in the county in Tennessee where the deceased passed.
    2. Have the attorney do a county record search to obtain the certificate.
    3. The attorney may pay for a certified copy of the death certificate.
    4. Have the attorney file with the insurer to make claim for life benefit.
    5. Pay the attorney and get your life insurance money.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . In most places, death certificates are part of the public record and anyone can obtain a copy of one. You may be able to order online or from the county clerk.

James Frederick