How do I obtain a copy of the court hearing transcripts? Does the judge have to advise you of your rights to appeal?

Asked 12 months ago - Conway, AR

I had to represent myself in civil court (my attorney died) and the judge made the ruling based on his opinion when there was evidence to support the opposite decision? This was an issue over responsibility of payment for braces which were not medically necessary . The Arkansas Medicaid Program stated in writing that the procedure was not medically necessary but he said in his opinion it was and ruled against me. Does the judge have to advise me of my right to appeal since I was pro se? How do I obtain a copy of the court transcript?

1. Aaron Scott Hill

2

1

Answered . Contact the court reporter, typically a court reporter works with a specific judge most of the time, so you can probably find this information (who the reporter was and how to contact them) from the circuit clerk. Transcripts are not cheap, and your appeal is more likely to succeed if you have an attorney handling it for you.

2. Terry David Horner

1

1

Answered . I am puzzled about why you proceeded without an attorney; counsel's death is a pretty good excuse for not showing up. Did you ask for time to retain someone new? Did the court force you to proceed? That could be a good issue on appeal. The advising-of-appellate-rights question was answered elsewhere.

3. Vincent Paul Tolisano

Pro

1

Answered . The court reporter present at the trial or hearing should be contacted. You can request an estimate of cost for a copy.